Welcome To the Trevithick Trail

Skip to main content

South of Darren Las

The path continues south and picks up the original tramway on the west side of the railway line. The path travels parallel to the existing railway line with the photographs below showing the railway fence on the left. The Tramroad and railway were fully operational at the same time between 1841 and 1863.

Alongside-railway-(Before) Alongside Railway (During) Alongside Railway (After)
Excavation Around Sleeper Stones Stone Dust Being Laid Original sleeper with iron pin

Between this point and Pontygwaith the original stone sleepers were found, most of which were buried and were not visible until careful excavation uncovered them.

The sleepers were left in their original place with stone dust being laid and compacted around each stone.