At some point the tramway crosses the existing railway line, the 1875
Ordinance Survey plan shows it in this area. It was therefore necessary to
provide a bridge to cross the railway which was the largest engineering Job
on the trail, it has also replaced the existing crossing point which was
Pile foundations were required to support the bridge as the ground below
was very soft. Roger Bullivant Ltd carried out the work with their purpose
built drill Rig .
A permanent steel casing was drilled 15m through the fill ground onto the
rock head, the pile was then filled with a grout mix through the centre of
the augers as they were retracted, Steel reinforcement was then inserted
into the pile.
A pile cap was constructed on each set of piles using reinforced concrete to
support the main trestles of the bridge. The pile cap distributes the loads from
the bridge to the piles.
On the 13th and 20th of April the bridge was lifted into place. The three
trestles and one ramp was put in place on the first weekend with the main
span and the two ramps on the east side of the railway on the following
The initial design of the bridge was done by Mark Robinson with Rowecord
carrying out the detailed design and the fabrication of the structure. The
foundations were designed by Carwyn Morris and constructed by Alun Griffiths
Ltd, with Roger Bullivant Ltd as the sub contractor.
South of Trevithick Tunnel
Kings Hill Troedyrhiw
Kings Hill Merthyr Vale
Black Lion Bridge
South of Darren Las
Stone Sleeper Path
Copyright © 2008 Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council. All Rights Reserved.